Congress delegation turns violent after DM refuses to meet
Behrampore: Watched by Union minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, Congress workers on Thursday went on the rampage vandalising Murshidabad district magistrate`s office when the officer declined to accept their memorandum on the alleged custodial death of a party worker.
The workers smashed flower pots, pulled down a sun shed and hurled brickbats breaking the windscreen of a vehicle as Chowdhury was seen standing on the bonnet of a jeep, apparently trying to pacify the demonstrators, who were on a sit-in to protest the death of the worker after he was allegedly beaten up by police in the lock-up on January 7.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharjee said District Magistrate Rajiv Kumar declined to accept the memorandum and instead asked the ADM to receive it.
Chowdhury, the Minister of State for Railways, gave a 30-minute ultimatum to the magistrate to receive the memorandum and threatened to organise a bigger agitation if he did not. Kumar finally received the memorandum.
Chowdhury claimed that there was no vandalism at the DM`s office.
"I can tell you very categorically that none of our Congress workers entered the premises of the district magistrate. No kind of vandalism took place," he said.
"We protested against it (the DM not receiving the memorandum) and staged a dharna," he said.
Bhattacharjee also said there was no violence during the agitation.
"... There was no ransack of the district magistrate`s office. That is totally wrong, that is not correct, nobody entered it... I am not going to justify this, but I can tell you the fact and the fact is that no property was damaged," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?