Congress demands CBI probe into Mamata`s role in the chit fund scam
Kolkata: Congress leaders marched to Governor`s House in Kolkata and demanded a probe into Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s alleged involvement in the infamous Saradha chit scam.
Congress leader, MD Shorab sought a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the matter.
"Our Chief Minister always claims that she is honest and stands for it. So for the sake of our chief minister herself, the cabinet, the ministry and the party, there must be a CBI enquiry so that the truth can come out and the money of poor people can be given back and those who are culprits can be brought to court," said Shorab.
Meanwhile leader of the Communist Party of India-Marxist, Biman Bose condemned the police action against the protesters.
"We condemn the action against the political leaders and social activists at Bidhannagar and we have got no language to condemn this," said Bose.
Earlier, the Trinamool Congress had suspended party lawmaker, Kunal Ghosh, who was involved in the scam, and also formed a special committee to carry out an instant probe into the dubious activities of the Saradha Group, that duped thousands of depositors, mostly with a meagre sources of income, of their life-long savings.
The main accused in the scam and Chairman of the Saradha Group, Sudipto Sen, is in custody and has stated that he was influenced by TMC leaders.
Apart from Sen, Debjani Mukherjee and Arvind Singh Chouhan are the other two accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie