Congress demands CBI probe into Mamata`s role in the chit fund scam
Kolkata: Congress leaders marched to Governor`s House in Kolkata and demanded a probe into Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s alleged involvement in the infamous Saradha chit scam.
Congress leader, MD Shorab sought a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the matter.
"Our Chief Minister always claims that she is honest and stands for it. So for the sake of our chief minister herself, the cabinet, the ministry and the party, there must be a CBI enquiry so that the truth can come out and the money of poor people can be given back and those who are culprits can be brought to court," said Shorab.
Meanwhile leader of the Communist Party of India-Marxist, Biman Bose condemned the police action against the protesters.
"We condemn the action against the political leaders and social activists at Bidhannagar and we have got no language to condemn this," said Bose.
Earlier, the Trinamool Congress had suspended party lawmaker, Kunal Ghosh, who was involved in the scam, and also formed a special committee to carry out an instant probe into the dubious activities of the Saradha Group, that duped thousands of depositors, mostly with a meagre sources of income, of their life-long savings.
The main accused in the scam and Chairman of the Saradha Group, Sudipto Sen, is in custody and has stated that he was influenced by TMC leaders.
Apart from Sen, Debjani Mukherjee and Arvind Singh Chouhan are the other two accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!