Congress for Coordination Committee in West Bengal
New Delhi: Amid growing strain in ties with
the Mamata Banerjee`s party, Congress is toying with the
idea of seeking a Coordination Committee in West Bengal if the
Trinamool Congress keeps up pressure for such an arrangement
at the Centre.
A senior Congress leader, who declined to be identified,
said that it would not be wrong on the part of the party if it
insists on such a Committee in the Banerjee-ruled West Bengal
if Trinamool lobbies for a coordination mechanism in New
Trinamool Congress is the second largest party in the
UPA after the Congress and had recently created problem for
the government seeking a rollback of the petrol price hike.
In West Bengal, the ties between the Trinamool Congress
and Congress are far from cordial since Banerjee secured power
ousting the Marxists who were entrenched there for over three
There have been growing complaints from state Congress
leaders to the high command about the treatment meted out to
them by Banerjee, who came to power with the support of the
There is a feeling in political circls that the more
Mamata Banerjee ups the ante on contentious issues in the
coming weeks, the more she and other allies will be in a
position to extract their pound of flesh for their continued
support to the UPA government.
While government has now reduced the prices of petrol,
it has ensured that the credit for it does not go the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre