Congress leader Pradip Ghosh joins BJP
Kolkata: Congress leader Pradip Ghosh Sunday joined the Bharatiya Janata Party along with his loyalists, accusing the Congress of lacking inner-party democracy.
"I have not joined the BJP for the lure of any post. The party I have left will say such things now. But the fact is, there is no democracy in that party. We have seen in recent times, that the present state Congress leadership even resorts to beating up vocal workers inside the party office to silence them.
"It is impossible to work in such an organisation. By remaining in such a party, one cannot do anything for the people`s benefit. I have taken the decision in the interest of the people," Ghosh said after formally joining the BJP.
A former member of Kolkata Municipal Corporation`s mayor-in-council, Ghosh had earlier this month visited the state BJP headquarters and met its state president Rahul Sinha. Since then, there had been intense speculation about Ghosh joining the BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire