Congress leaders to campaign for Pranab`s son
Kolkata: With President Pranab Mukherjee`s son Abhijit contesting the Lok Sabha by-election from Jangipur in West Bengal, a galaxy of senior Congress leaders and star campaigners will be visiting Bengal to campaign for him.
"Several top leaders of our party will be visiting Jangipur to campaign for Abhijit Mukherjee. Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, Congress MP and actor Raj Babbar, Congress leader Shakeel Ahmed, state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya will also campaign for him," said Maya Ghosh, a Congress leader.
Ghosh added that Congress MP and former cricketer Mohammed Azharuddin may also visit Jangipur to drum up voter support for Abhijit.
Abhijit Mukherjee, a first-time Congress lawmaker from Nalhati Assembly constituency of Birbhum district of West Bengal, is being fielded on the Congress ticket from the Jangipur. The Lok Sabha constituency fell vacant after his father`s elevation to the post of president.
Pranab Mukherjee has been a two-time MP from Jangipur in Murshidabad district since 2004.
After Mukherjee`s elevation as the President, Abhijit has expressed his desire to become Parliament member from Jangipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official