Congress minority cell to appeal in SC to reschedule WB panchayat polls
Kolkata: The minority cell of state Congress is contemplating to appeal in the Supreme Court to reschedule panchayat polls in West Bengal in view of the month of Ramzan, a senior congress leader said.
"The situation has compounded due to the fault of the state government. We fully respect and honour the court`s order. But keeping in mind the holy Ramzan month the South 24 Parganas` district minority cell of Congress will appeal before the SC to see that the panchayat poll dates are modified on account of the Ramzan period," Congress leader Abdul Mannan said.
The Supreme Court on June 28 rescheduled the dates of West Bengal panchayat elections and directed the State Election Commission to conduct the exercise in five phases starting July 11.
The apex court directed the state government to provide on an average 35,000 security personnel for each phase of the election and the rest of the requirement of security forces will be provided by the Centre.
Meanwhile, the ruling Trinamool Congress yesterday said it was contemplating to appeal in the SC to hold the panchayat polls in West Bengal before Ramzan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic
- Will women be allowed to enter Haji Ali shrine? Bombay HC verdict today
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today