Congress minority cell to appeal in SC to reschedule WB panchayat polls
Kolkata: The minority cell of state Congress is contemplating to appeal in the Supreme Court to reschedule panchayat polls in West Bengal in view of the month of Ramzan, a senior congress leader said.
"The situation has compounded due to the fault of the state government. We fully respect and honour the court`s order. But keeping in mind the holy Ramzan month the South 24 Parganas` district minority cell of Congress will appeal before the SC to see that the panchayat poll dates are modified on account of the Ramzan period," Congress leader Abdul Mannan said.
The Supreme Court on June 28 rescheduled the dates of West Bengal panchayat elections and directed the State Election Commission to conduct the exercise in five phases starting July 11.
The apex court directed the state government to provide on an average 35,000 security personnel for each phase of the election and the rest of the requirement of security forces will be provided by the Centre.
Meanwhile, the ruling Trinamool Congress yesterday said it was contemplating to appeal in the SC to hold the panchayat polls in West Bengal before Ramzan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview