Congress MLA beaten up at Howrah village
Howrah: Congress MLA Asit Mitra was severely beaten up by suspected Trinamool Congress supporters when he visited a village in Howrah district on Wednesday where 41 houses and eight paddy stacks were set afire.
The police said that Asit Mitra, Congress MLA from Amta, accompanied by CPI-M local leader Rabindranath Mitra went to Azangachi village in the Jaipur police station area to inspect the damage in the last night`s arson and carry relief materials for the injured house-owners.
He was talking to the injured when suspected TMC supporters arrived on the scene and beat him. An injured Mitra was admitted to Jaipur B B Dhar Hospital, the police said.
In protest against the incident, Congress supporters blocked roads at Bagnan and Amta in the district.
A strong police force has been deployed in the two areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez