Congress MLA disqualified for defecting
Kolkata: West Bengal Assembly Speaker HA
Halim Wednesday disqualified Congress legislator Sabitri Mitra,
who has joined the Trinamool Congress, from the House.
Mitra, elected from Araidanga constituency in Malda
district, was not present when the Speaker passed the order in
"I have filed a petition before the Calcutta High
Court stating that proper procedure has not been followed in
my disqualification," she told newspersons later.
Mitra, a five-time MLA and a vice-president of the
WBPCC, said, "I know I was going to be expelled, but the way it
was done was improper. It reflects personal vendetta of PCC
president Manas Bhunia against me."
Bhunia, who had urged the Speaker to disqualify her
under anti-defection law, said, "This will be a lesson for
opportunists who win on a party ticket and later defect to
This is the third disqualification of a Congress MLA
in the state since the last Assembly polls in 2006.
Interestingly, all the three have joined Trinamool.
Earlier, the membership of Somen Mitra and Sudip
Bandyopadhyay were cancelled for joining Trinamool.
Claiming that this would not affect Congress` ties
with ally Trinamool, Bhunia said that this had sent a message
to all politicians and elected representatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam