Congress MLA disqualified for defecting
Kolkata: West Bengal Assembly Speaker HA
Halim Wednesday disqualified Congress legislator Sabitri Mitra,
who has joined the Trinamool Congress, from the House.
Mitra, elected from Araidanga constituency in Malda
district, was not present when the Speaker passed the order in
"I have filed a petition before the Calcutta High
Court stating that proper procedure has not been followed in
my disqualification," she told newspersons later.
Mitra, a five-time MLA and a vice-president of the
WBPCC, said, "I know I was going to be expelled, but the way it
was done was improper. It reflects personal vendetta of PCC
president Manas Bhunia against me."
Bhunia, who had urged the Speaker to disqualify her
under anti-defection law, said, "This will be a lesson for
opportunists who win on a party ticket and later defect to
This is the third disqualification of a Congress MLA
in the state since the last Assembly polls in 2006.
Interestingly, all the three have joined Trinamool.
Earlier, the membership of Somen Mitra and Sudip
Bandyopadhyay were cancelled for joining Trinamool.
Claiming that this would not affect Congress` ties
with ally Trinamool, Bhunia said that this had sent a message
to all politicians and elected representatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video