Congress panchayat poll candidate missing in WB
Krishnagar (WB): A Congress candidate for the panchayat elections in Nadia district is missing since June 27, police sources said on Tuesday.
Munna Mahato (22), a resident of Haripur -- Chowdhurypara under Shantipur police station in Nadia district and the Congress candidate for Haripur gram panchayat is missing since June 27. His uncle Bisseswar Mahato lodged a missing police diary on June 29.
Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Ranaghat Ajhar A Tousif said "we have initiated the investigation. We are looking in to all the possible aspects behind his missing."
The general secretary of Shantipur Town Congress Tarun Bhattacharjee claimed that Munna Mahato their candidate for the Haripur gram panchayat is missing since June 27.
"We suspect that some rival political party has abducted him (Munna) to get the political benefit," Bhattacharjee said.
Family sources said that after receiving a phone call he went out of the home on afternoon of June 27 and since then he has not returned.
An abduction complaint was also lodged yesterday on behalf of the Congress party.
Congress MLA Ajay Dey too hinted the hand of opposition parties in the abduction of Munna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Religious tensions bristle in Myanmar village after mosque destroyed
- After IITs, HRD Ministry hikes fees in NITs, IISERs
- Was Test captain Virat Kohli overruled by BCCI, CAC in India coach appointment?
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a traitor: Mayawati
- Gold slips from 26-month high, down Rs 485 on fall in demand