Congress rails at ineffective governance in Bengal
Kolkata: With the Calcutta High Court ordering a CBI investigation into the custodial death in Hooghly district, the Congress today slammed the ineffectual governance in West Bengal and demanded a CBI inquiry into the chit fund scam.
State Congress President Pradip Bhattacharya said, "From the very beginning we have demanded a CBI investigation into the custodial death at Dhaniakhali in Hooghly district. The CID is working under the pressure of the government."
Passing the order on a PIL seeking a probe by the central agency, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed that the CBI investigate the death of Kaji Nasiruddin on January 18.
The bench directed the CID, which was investigating the case, to hand over all papers and documents with regard to the case to the CBI within seven days of communication of the order.
"Is it governance that is going on in Bengal? Is it a proper government? Last week in the panchayat case the High court gave verdict in favour of central forces, in this case too the court has asked for a CBI inquiry. The state should learn its lessons from the verdict," Bhattacharya told reporters.
He also demanded that there should be a CBI inquiry into the chit fund scam.
"We demand a CBI inquiry into the chit fund scandal, because the state government can never do an impartial inquiry into it. The state government is not interested in governance. They are only interested in lambasting the central government," said Bhattacharya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!