Congress rails at ineffective governance in Bengal
Kolkata: With the Calcutta High Court ordering a CBI investigation into the custodial death in Hooghly district, the Congress today slammed the ineffectual governance in West Bengal and demanded a CBI inquiry into the chit fund scam.
State Congress President Pradip Bhattacharya said, "From the very beginning we have demanded a CBI investigation into the custodial death at Dhaniakhali in Hooghly district. The CID is working under the pressure of the government."
Passing the order on a PIL seeking a probe by the central agency, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed that the CBI investigate the death of Kaji Nasiruddin on January 18.
The bench directed the CID, which was investigating the case, to hand over all papers and documents with regard to the case to the CBI within seven days of communication of the order.
"Is it governance that is going on in Bengal? Is it a proper government? Last week in the panchayat case the High court gave verdict in favour of central forces, in this case too the court has asked for a CBI inquiry. The state should learn its lessons from the verdict," Bhattacharya told reporters.
He also demanded that there should be a CBI inquiry into the chit fund scam.
"We demand a CBI inquiry into the chit fund scandal, because the state government can never do an impartial inquiry into it. The state government is not interested in governance. They are only interested in lambasting the central government," said Bhattacharya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read