Congress suffers another jolt in WB, loses civic body to TMC
Kolkata: Congress in West Bengal suffered yet again due to defection as ruling Trinamool Congress today snatched control of a municipality in Nadia district ahead of next year`s general elections.
11 councillors of Congress-controlled Cooper`s Camp Municipality, led by its chairman Shibu Bayen, in Nadia district joined Trinamool Congress at the party headquarters here in the presence of its general secretary Mukul Roy, giving the ruling party control of the 12-member civic body board.
Congress had retained the municipality with a landslide victory last year, winning 11 out of 12 seats.
Congress` setback, the latest in a series of civic body blows, came days after the party lost Sainthia Municipality in Birbhum district and Krishnagar Municipality in Nadia district to Trinamool because of defections.
The switch-over of Congress councillors to TMC came only six days after Congress lost control over the Sainthia Municipality, which it had held for 15 years with the chairman of the civic body along with nine other party councillors joining Trinamool Congress.
Not only councillors from Congress, those from Left Front constituents CPI(M) and RSP were also joining the ruling party "attracted by development initiatives and good governance of the government headed by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee," Roy said.
PCC President Pradip Bhattacherjee said "we have asked our district chiefs to keep a watch on Congress councillors to prevent defections to Trinamool."
"Let Congress councillors, who are joining TMC, resign first and get re-elected. How long would this fascist action continue? TMC might be happy now but a day will come when they would be paid back in their own coin", he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145