Congress suffers another jolt in WB, loses civic body to TMC
Kolkata: Congress in West Bengal suffered yet again due to defection as ruling Trinamool Congress today snatched control of a municipality in Nadia district ahead of next year`s general elections.
11 councillors of Congress-controlled Cooper`s Camp Municipality, led by its chairman Shibu Bayen, in Nadia district joined Trinamool Congress at the party headquarters here in the presence of its general secretary Mukul Roy, giving the ruling party control of the 12-member civic body board.
Congress had retained the municipality with a landslide victory last year, winning 11 out of 12 seats.
Congress` setback, the latest in a series of civic body blows, came days after the party lost Sainthia Municipality in Birbhum district and Krishnagar Municipality in Nadia district to Trinamool because of defections.
The switch-over of Congress councillors to TMC came only six days after Congress lost control over the Sainthia Municipality, which it had held for 15 years with the chairman of the civic body along with nine other party councillors joining Trinamool Congress.
Not only councillors from Congress, those from Left Front constituents CPI(M) and RSP were also joining the ruling party "attracted by development initiatives and good governance of the government headed by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee," Roy said.
PCC President Pradip Bhattacherjee said "we have asked our district chiefs to keep a watch on Congress councillors to prevent defections to Trinamool."
"Let Congress councillors, who are joining TMC, resign first and get re-elected. How long would this fascist action continue? TMC might be happy now but a day will come when they would be paid back in their own coin", he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what