Congress suspends 12 rebel candidates
Siliguri (WB): Cracking the whip after tough
talk, the Congress on Wednesday suspended 12 rebel candidates
including three sitting legislators who defied the party line
and filed nominations as independents against `official`
nominees of Trinamool and Congress alliance in West Bengal.
The move comes just a day after Union Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee`s warning that the dissidents will face
strong action, including expulsion, if they do not withdraw
from the poll fray.
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee too had launched a
scathing attack on the `independents` during her ongoing poll
campaign in north Bengal.
She also expelled dissident sitting party MLA from Dinhata
in Cooch Behar district Ashok Mondal who was denied nomination
from the seat this time which was allotted to the NCP by
"The rebel Congress candidates who have filed their
nominations against the official nominees of the alliance
stand suspended from the party for defying party line," WBPCC
chief Manas Bhuniya told reporters here.
"We have entered into an alliance with the Trinamool
Congress to dislodge the Left Front from power. The alliance
is a desire of the people and we respect it. We cannot
tolerate violation of party rules and discipline," Congress
working Committee member Shakeel Ahmed and in-charge of the
party affairs in West Bengal said.
"With a heavy heart we are suspending them. But the party
is above individual," he said.
Those suspended include three sitting legislators
Chittaranjan Roy and Hamidur Rahman in North Dinajpur
district, who are close to party MP from Raiganj Deepa
Dasmunshi, and Fazle Haq in Cooch Behar district. They had
filed nominations as independents after being denied party
Also suspended were four dissident candidates and block
Congress presidents in Murshidabad district - Sheikh Alamgir,
Aminul Islam, Alamgir Hossain and Shamsuzzah Biswas. They all
are followers of Adhir Chowdhury. Another party MP was also
The others suspended include Kanailal Agarwal, chairman of
the Islampur Municipality in North Dinajpur and a Deepa
Dasmunshi loyalist, Al Biruni, a WBPCC member from Malda, and
Sahanaj Qadri, niece of Malda district Congress president A H
Khanchowdhury and local leader in Birbhum district Md
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!