Congress wants Abhijit to contest seat vacated by Pranab
Kolkata: With the October 10 byelection to the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in West Bengal vacated by Pranab Mukherjee after he became President coming up, Congressmen were in favour of his son, Abhijit, to contest the seat.
"Large sections of the Congressmen are in favour of the the party high command nominating Abhijit for Jangipur," WBPCC President Pradip Bhattacherjee told PTI here.
This would be communicated to the party high command in Delhi, he said.
Pranab Mukherjee had won the seat in Murshidabad district in 2004 and 2009.
Trinamool Congress all-India General Secretary and Railway minister Mukul Roy when asked whether party would support Abhijit in case he was chosen as the candidate by the Congress high command told PTI "We are still in UPA.
"In the case of the Lok Sabha and assembly elections both the parties had worked together. But it is a political decision and we have not discussed it as yet in the party," he said.
Meanwhile, Left Front chairman Biman Bose told reporters that CPI(M) leader in Murshidabad district Muzzafar Hossain would be the LF-backed party candidate for the seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31