Congress wants central forces for Bengal panchayat polls
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday made a strong pitch for deployment of central security forces during the panchayat elections in West Bengal expressing apprehension of "huge amount of violence".
Party spokesman Shakeel Ahmed said the State Election Commission, West Bengal government and the Centre should explore and ensure a free and fair and non-violent panchayat elections.
Senior Congress leader and Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare A H Khan Chowdhury had yesterday alleged that the panchayat polls in West Bengal are a "farce" and "bluff".
"The panchayat polls are a farce and bluff as the Trinamool Congress has unleashed a reign of terror and threatening people of other parties from contesting the rural polls," Khan Chowdhury, MP from Malda district had said in Kolkata.
Panchayat elections are scheduled next month. Opposition CPI-M has sought the intervention of West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan into alleged attacks of Opposition candidates by the ruling Trinamool Congress during nomination filing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains of Amma brought to Rajaji Hall
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what