Congress wants central forces for Bengal panchayat polls
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday made a strong pitch for deployment of central security forces during the panchayat elections in West Bengal expressing apprehension of "huge amount of violence".
Party spokesman Shakeel Ahmed said the State Election Commission, West Bengal government and the Centre should explore and ensure a free and fair and non-violent panchayat elections.
Senior Congress leader and Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare A H Khan Chowdhury had yesterday alleged that the panchayat polls in West Bengal are a "farce" and "bluff".
"The panchayat polls are a farce and bluff as the Trinamool Congress has unleashed a reign of terror and threatening people of other parties from contesting the rural polls," Khan Chowdhury, MP from Malda district had said in Kolkata.
Panchayat elections are scheduled next month. Opposition CPI-M has sought the intervention of West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan into alleged attacks of Opposition candidates by the ruling Trinamool Congress during nomination filing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note