Congress withdraws support to Mamata govt in West Bengal
Kolkata: Completing the divorce formalities with the Trinamool Congress, the Congress on Saturday withdrew support to West Bengal`s Mamata Banerjee government after its six ministers handed over their resignation to the chief minister.
All the Congress ministers - two cabinet-rank and four ministers of state - went in a body to Banerjee`s chamber at the state secretariat, Writers` Buildings, here and handed over their resignation to the chief minister a little after 5 pm.
"As per the directive of the party, the high command and the state Congress we have submitted our resignation to the chief minister," said party leader Manas Bhunia, who held portfolios of micro, medium and small enterprises, textiles and irrigation and waterways minister in the cabinet.
Abu Hena, holding charge of food processing and fisheries, was the other cabinet-rank minister from the Congress.
Later, the ministers along with state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya and legislative party leader Mohammad Sohrab, went to the Raj Bhavan and communicated to Governor MK Naryanan their decision to withdraw support from the Banerjee government.
The Congress` exercise came a day after a similar act was performed by the Trinamool Congress in New Delhi.
The Trinamool formally pulled out of the United Progressive Alliance and its six union ministers gave their resignation letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday in protest against the hike in diesel price, allowing FDI in multi-brand retail trade and putting a cap on subsidised cooking gas cylinders.
The Congress was the junior partner in the Trinamool-led regime in West Bengal since it took charge 16 months ago in May, 2011 after ending the 34-year rule of the Left Front.
The withdrawal of support will not have any impact on the 16-month-old Banerjee government as her party has a comfortable majority in the 294-seat state Assembly.
The Congress has 42 members, two more than the Communist Party of India-Marxist`s 40, and could stake claim for the post of leader of opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video