Congress `woos` Trinamool dissidents
Kolkata: The Congress Sunday said its doors were open for those former party leaders who had joined the Trinamool Congress in West Bengal. It also welcomed Trinamool leaders who have never been its members.
"The doors of the Congress are open to those leaders who were earlier with us, but are now with the Trinamool," state Congress chief Pradip Bhattacharya told media persons here.
"Even those Trinamool leaders, who have never been in the Congress, who want to join us, they can talk to us. We will definitely give them a hearing and then decide on case to case basis," Bhattacharya said.
The state Congress president`s offer to Trinamool leaders came in the wake of the alleged revolt by three of Trinamool MPs - Tapas Pal, Satabdi Roy and Kunal Ghosh.
Another Trinamool state lawmaker Shikha Mitra has been suspended by the party for anti-party activities and comments.
Mitra`s husband Somen Mitra - a Lok Sabha member - is perceived to be the rallying point for rebel leaders in the Trinamool.
Both Somen and Shikha were earlier in the Congress.
Asked whether the Congress would also welcome Ghosh, who is being grilled in connection with the Saradha chit fund scam, Bhattacharya said: "I don`t want to go by any specific names. I have said, what I have said".
Describing the MPs` revolt as the "beginning of the end" for Trinamool, he said: "We also want to admit leaders from that party as a tit-for-tat for the way it is trying to engineer defections from the Congress."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks