Congress workers join TMC to protest stand on Gorkhaland: Mukul Roy
Kolkata: Hundreds of Congress Party workers in North Dinajpur district on Sunday joined the ruling Trinamool Congress to protest against the party`s stand on the creation of a separate Gorkhaland state, TMC leader Mukul Roy claimed.
"Hundreds of Congress workers from North Dinajpur today joined Trinamool as they believe that Trinamool is the only party in the state which can fight for the unity and development of Bengal," Roy, the national general secretary of the party, told reporters here.
Senior Congress leader and INTUC leader Alok Chakraborty also joined the party, Roy said.
The TMC had earlier alleged that the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre had instigated the Gorkhaland stir by giving approval to the creation of the separate state of Telengana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch