Congress workers join TMC to protest stand on Gorkhaland: Mukul Roy
Kolkata: Hundreds of Congress Party workers in North Dinajpur district on Sunday joined the ruling Trinamool Congress to protest against the party`s stand on the creation of a separate Gorkhaland state, TMC leader Mukul Roy claimed.
"Hundreds of Congress workers from North Dinajpur today joined Trinamool as they believe that Trinamool is the only party in the state which can fight for the unity and development of Bengal," Roy, the national general secretary of the party, told reporters here.
Senior Congress leader and INTUC leader Alok Chakraborty also joined the party, Roy said.
The TMC had earlier alleged that the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre had instigated the Gorkhaland stir by giving approval to the creation of the separate state of Telengana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- As BJP celebrates two years in power, ally Shiv Sena says Modi govt 'a failure on many fronts'
- Marijuana recovered from two smugglers in Jammu
- Security forces, militants engaged in gunfight in Kupwara
- MUST WATCH VIDEO: When Shoaib Akhtar bowled Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar off consecutive balls!
- West Bengal: Net worth of richest MLA Rs 40 crore, poorest has Rs 50,000