Congress workers join TMC to protest stand on Gorkhaland: Mukul Roy
Kolkata: Hundreds of Congress Party workers in North Dinajpur district on Sunday joined the ruling Trinamool Congress to protest against the party`s stand on the creation of a separate Gorkhaland state, TMC leader Mukul Roy claimed.
"Hundreds of Congress workers from North Dinajpur today joined Trinamool as they believe that Trinamool is the only party in the state which can fight for the unity and development of Bengal," Roy, the national general secretary of the party, told reporters here.
Senior Congress leader and INTUC leader Alok Chakraborty also joined the party, Roy said.
The TMC had earlier alleged that the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre had instigated the Gorkhaland stir by giving approval to the creation of the separate state of Telengana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy