Constitution has not defined what Governor can say
Kolkata: Senior Trinamool Congress leader Sougata Roy, commenting on the remark by West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan that `goondaism` was taking place in the state on Friday said that he subscribed to the view of a constitutional expert that the Constitution has not defined what the Governor could say.
On, the other hand, Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee, who had yesterday said that as a constitutional head, the governor should not make such sweeping comments without ascertaining facts from the government, today stood by his remarks.
"Whatever I have to say I have said yesterday. Of course, I am 100 percent in agreement with my comments yesterday irrespective of what anyone in the world is saying," Mukherjee told reporters when asked whether he stood by his comments.
Roy, asked to react to Mukherjee`s comment, said "Subrata Mukherjee is an experienced politician for long. Whatever he felt right he has said."
Roy, a member of the Chief Minister`s Advisory Council on Industry pressed further, said "Why are you dragging me into the controversy involving the two?
"But I saw a comment in the media made by constitutional expert Subhas C Kashyap who has said that constitution has not defined how far the governor can say or not and it depends on the governor concerned. I subscribe to his view."
The panchayat minister, when told about Roy`s comment, said "I am not a constitutional expert. Those who are constitutional experts will say."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch