Constitution has not defined what Governor can say
Kolkata: Senior Trinamool Congress leader Sougata Roy, commenting on the remark by West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan that `goondaism` was taking place in the state on Friday said that he subscribed to the view of a constitutional expert that the Constitution has not defined what the Governor could say.
On, the other hand, Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee, who had yesterday said that as a constitutional head, the governor should not make such sweeping comments without ascertaining facts from the government, today stood by his remarks.
"Whatever I have to say I have said yesterday. Of course, I am 100 percent in agreement with my comments yesterday irrespective of what anyone in the world is saying," Mukherjee told reporters when asked whether he stood by his comments.
Roy, asked to react to Mukherjee`s comment, said "Subrata Mukherjee is an experienced politician for long. Whatever he felt right he has said."
Roy, a member of the Chief Minister`s Advisory Council on Industry pressed further, said "Why are you dragging me into the controversy involving the two?
"But I saw a comment in the media made by constitutional expert Subhas C Kashyap who has said that constitution has not defined how far the governor can say or not and it depends on the governor concerned. I subscribe to his view."
The panchayat minister, when told about Roy`s comment, said "I am not a constitutional expert. Those who are constitutional experts will say."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video