Consult state before Bengal Guv appointment: LF, TMC, Cong
Kolkata: The Left Front, Congress and the ruling Trinamool Congress on Wednesday joined hands in demanding that the state government be consulted by the Centre over the appointment of the next Governor in West Bengal.
"We have expressed our reservations on the reports of appointment of Kalyan Singh as the governor. We feel that a person like him who has a communal background should not be appointed as Governor of a secular state like Bengal," CPI(M) MLA Anisur Rehman told reporters.
Congress leader Mohammed Sohrab said that the Centre should follow recommendations of the Sarkaria Commission before appointing governors.
Trinamool MLA Silbhadra Dutta said the Centre should discuss the matter with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee before taking any decision on it.
Leader of the Opposition Surjya Kanta Mishra has put up a notice in the state Assembly on Tuesday urging the state government to take up the issue with the Centre so that a person who has links with communal incidents should not be appointed for the post.
The matter was today discussed in the Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends