Controversy over Mamata Banerjee`s arrival time in Assembly
Kolkata: A controversy erupted on Monday over the time of arrival of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the West Bengal Assembly on the first day of its budget session which customarily begins with the Governor`s speech.
Leader of the Opposition and CPI(M) member Surya Kanta Mishra alleged that the chief minister arrived after the playing of the national anthem had been over, which he termed as "unprecedented".
As per the Assembly convention, the Governor is escorted from the door to inside by the Speaker and the retinue of the secretariat, while the council of ministers, headed by the Chief Minister, keep standing till the playing of the anthem is over.
However, parliamentary affairs minister Partha Chatterjee retorted that the Governor had entered the Assembly at 2.56 pm while he was supposed to reach there at three pm.
"The Chief Minister is very punctual in attending official events," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said