Controversy over renovation of Netaji`s ancestral house
Kolkata: Some family members of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Tuesday objected to the ongoing renovation work being undertaken by West Bengal government at their ancestral house at Kodalia in South 24 Paraganas district.
"What they are doing is trespassing on a private property which was handed down by Prabhabati Bose, Netaji`s mother, to her seven sons. There is no report of Netaji ever spending a night in the Kodalia house and obviously there is no connection with the INA (Indian National Army)," spokesperson of Netaji`s family Chandra Bose said.
He said extensive changes, including destruction of the boundary wall, have been carried out by the government without even informing the family members, who have now decided to file a writ petition in the Calcutta High Court.
When contacted, West Bengal State Heritage Commission Chairman Shuvaprasanna said, "We are only trying to restore the property and conserve it so that memories related with Netaji can be preserved. We have no intentions of acquiring it".
The Kodalia house in South 24-Parganas district was built by Haranath Bose, Netaji`s grandfather, over 150 years ago and has been repaired and maintained in good condition, the Bose family said.
"The Chief Minister was informed in writing about the circumstances of the Kodalia property and an interview with her was sought but there was no response," the family said in a statement.
Netaji was born in Cuttack and spent his life at many places. He never built a house of his own and stayed at his father`s or brother`s houses.
His father`s house at Elgin Road, where he spent a few years of his life, has already been converted to Netaji Bhavan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum