Controversy over renovation of Netaji`s ancestral house
Kolkata: Some family members of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Tuesday objected to the ongoing renovation work being undertaken by West Bengal government at their ancestral house at Kodalia in South 24 Paraganas district.
"What they are doing is trespassing on a private property which was handed down by Prabhabati Bose, Netaji`s mother, to her seven sons. There is no report of Netaji ever spending a night in the Kodalia house and obviously there is no connection with the INA (Indian National Army)," spokesperson of Netaji`s family Chandra Bose said.
He said extensive changes, including destruction of the boundary wall, have been carried out by the government without even informing the family members, who have now decided to file a writ petition in the Calcutta High Court.
When contacted, West Bengal State Heritage Commission Chairman Shuvaprasanna said, "We are only trying to restore the property and conserve it so that memories related with Netaji can be preserved. We have no intentions of acquiring it".
The Kodalia house in South 24-Parganas district was built by Haranath Bose, Netaji`s grandfather, over 150 years ago and has been repaired and maintained in good condition, the Bose family said.
"The Chief Minister was informed in writing about the circumstances of the Kodalia property and an interview with her was sought but there was no response," the family said in a statement.
Netaji was born in Cuttack and spent his life at many places. He never built a house of his own and stayed at his father`s or brother`s houses.
His father`s house at Elgin Road, where he spent a few years of his life, has already been converted to Netaji Bhavan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015