Cop who cracked Park Street rape case shifted
Kolkata: Kolkata police crime wing`s first
woman chief Damayanti Sen, the IPS officer who punctured Chief
Minister Mamata Banerjee`s claims and cracked the Park Street
rape case, was today transferred to a relatively low profile
Sen, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime), was shifted as
DIG (Training), Barrackpore Police Training College(PTC).
The first woman Joint CP (Crime) since 2009 was among 60
IPS officers reshuffled in the first such major exercise after
the Banerjee government came to power in West Bengal in May
The IPS officer, who maintains a low profile, was
instrumental in successfully solving the case of rape of a
37-year-old Anglo-Indian woman, a mother of two, after
partying at Park Street on February five even though Chief
Minister Mamata Banerjee dismissed the incident as
The victim had claimed that among the persons who were in
the car when she was allegedly raped at gunpoint and
threatened her while she was returning from a night club, was
a man named Lavi Gidwani.
The police after investigating had found that Gidwani
was in Canada since January two, while two others were found
to be elsewhere, which had led Sen to state that there were
`inconsistencies` in the statement of the woman, who reported
the incident four days after it took place.
Sen, however, perservered with the investigations with
the police identifying the real culprits from the CCTV footage
from the night club.
Sumit Bajaj, Rehman Khan who had masqueraded as Lavi
Gidwani and Ruman Khan, were identified and arrested on
The main accused Kadir Khan, however, absconded.
With Sen being feted in the media, the lady officer
after a meeting with the chief minister on February 20 had
issued a clarification that the success in solving the case
was a `entirely a combined effort`.
Earlier, the chief minister had claimed that the
incident was a `fabricated story` and intended to malign her
government and blamed some TV channels for projecting it.
Sen was replaced in the reshuffle by Pallab Kanti
Ghosh, who was Joint CP (Organisation).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?