Court hearing begins in Park Street rape case
Kolkata: The in-camera hearing in the controversial Park Street rape case began on Saturday in a fast track court here.
"The hearing started today. The next hearing will take place on March 13-14," Deputy Commissioner (Detective department) Santosh Pandey said.
Earlier on February 19, the court had framed charges against Nishad Khan alias Ruman Khan, Naseer Khan and Sumit Bajaj, who are in judicial custody, for raping a woman on the night of February 5 last year at upscale Park Street here.
Two other accused -- Kadir Khan and Mohammed Ali -- are still absconding.
The victim, a 37-year-old Anglo-Indian mother of two, was allegedly gang-raped at gun-point inside a car.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee courted controversy after she dubbed the allegation as "cooked-up to malign her government".
However, then Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen had cracked the case and apprehended three of the accused. Sen was subsequently shunted out as DIG (Training) and recently transferred as DIG, Darjeeling.
Earlier this year, the Supreme Court had denied bail to Bajaj and Nasser when they approached it seeking relief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand