Court hearing begins in Park Street rape case
Kolkata: The in-camera hearing in the controversial Park Street rape case began on Saturday in a fast track court here.
"The hearing started today. The next hearing will take place on March 13-14," Deputy Commissioner (Detective department) Santosh Pandey said.
Earlier on February 19, the court had framed charges against Nishad Khan alias Ruman Khan, Naseer Khan and Sumit Bajaj, who are in judicial custody, for raping a woman on the night of February 5 last year at upscale Park Street here.
Two other accused -- Kadir Khan and Mohammed Ali -- are still absconding.
The victim, a 37-year-old Anglo-Indian mother of two, was allegedly gang-raped at gun-point inside a car.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee courted controversy after she dubbed the allegation as "cooked-up to malign her government".
However, then Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen had cracked the case and apprehended three of the accused. Sen was subsequently shunted out as DIG (Training) and recently transferred as DIG, Darjeeling.
Earlier this year, the Supreme Court had denied bail to Bajaj and Nasser when they approached it seeking relief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof