Court hearing begins in Park Street rape case
Kolkata: The in-camera hearing in the controversial Park Street rape case began on Saturday in a fast track court here.
"The hearing started today. The next hearing will take place on March 13-14," Deputy Commissioner (Detective department) Santosh Pandey said.
Earlier on February 19, the court had framed charges against Nishad Khan alias Ruman Khan, Naseer Khan and Sumit Bajaj, who are in judicial custody, for raping a woman on the night of February 5 last year at upscale Park Street here.
Two other accused -- Kadir Khan and Mohammed Ali -- are still absconding.
The victim, a 37-year-old Anglo-Indian mother of two, was allegedly gang-raped at gun-point inside a car.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee courted controversy after she dubbed the allegation as "cooked-up to malign her government".
However, then Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen had cracked the case and apprehended three of the accused. Sen was subsequently shunted out as DIG (Training) and recently transferred as DIG, Darjeeling.
Earlier this year, the Supreme Court had denied bail to Bajaj and Nasser when they approached it seeking relief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed