Court orders CBI probe into Bengal custodial death
Kolkata: In a jolt to the Mamata Banerjee government, the Calcutta High Court here on Monday ordered the CBI to take over the probe into a Trinamool Congress worker`s death allegedly in the custody of West Bengal Police.
Kazi Naseeruddin died in the custody of Dhaniakhali police station in Hooghly district Jan 19, after he was arrested the previous night.
A bench of Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice JM Bagchi directed the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the state police to hand over the case files to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) within seven days.
A public interest litigation was filed in the court for the same. It was alleged that his death was a "pre-planned murder" as he was on the verge of quitting the Trinamool Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Deepika Padukone enters 'world`s highest-paid actresses' list
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding