Court orders CBI probe into Bengal custodial death
Kolkata: In a jolt to the Mamata Banerjee government, the Calcutta High Court here on Monday ordered the CBI to take over the probe into a Trinamool Congress worker`s death allegedly in the custody of West Bengal Police.
Kazi Naseeruddin died in the custody of Dhaniakhali police station in Hooghly district Jan 19, after he was arrested the previous night.
A bench of Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice JM Bagchi directed the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the state police to hand over the case files to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) within seven days.
A public interest litigation was filed in the court for the same. It was alleged that his death was a "pre-planned murder" as he was on the verge of quitting the Trinamool Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you