Court orders CBI probe into Dhaniakhali custodial death
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Monday ordered a CBI investigation into the alleged custodial death of a youth in the Dhaniakhali police station area in Hooghly district.
Passing the order on a PIL seeking a probe by the central agency, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed that the CBI investigate the death of Kaji Nasiruddin on January 18.
The bench directed the CID, which was investigating the case, to hand over all papers and documents with regard to the case to the CBI within seven days of communication of the order.
Nasiruddin, a Trinamool Congress worker, had been picked up by officers of Dhaniakhali police station on January 18 from near his house in connection with a petty case regarding registration papers of his newly-bought small transport vehicle.
A friend of Nasiruddin was allegedly called to the police station in the late hours of January 18 and was asked to take him to hospital claiming that he was not well.
On being taken to a government hospital, the doctors declared Nasiruddin brought dead.
The state government had handed over the investigation into Nasiruddin`s death to CID following a furore over the death.
A PIL was then filed by an advocate praying for a CBI investigation claiming that a fair and impartial investigation was not possible by any state agency as the allegation was against the state police.
It was also alleged that the investigation was being done in a shoddy manner.
The bench, upon hearing the submissions of the petitioner and the state, had criticised the pace and manner of investigation on Friday during the last hearing of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India