Court orders CBI probe into Dhaniakhali custodial death
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Monday ordered a CBI investigation into the alleged custodial death of a youth in the Dhaniakhali police station area in Hooghly district.
Passing the order on a PIL seeking a probe by the central agency, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed that the CBI investigate the death of Kaji Nasiruddin on January 18.
The bench directed the CID, which was investigating the case, to hand over all papers and documents with regard to the case to the CBI within seven days of communication of the order.
Nasiruddin, a Trinamool Congress worker, had been picked up by officers of Dhaniakhali police station on January 18 from near his house in connection with a petty case regarding registration papers of his newly-bought small transport vehicle.
A friend of Nasiruddin was allegedly called to the police station in the late hours of January 18 and was asked to take him to hospital claiming that he was not well.
On being taken to a government hospital, the doctors declared Nasiruddin brought dead.
The state government had handed over the investigation into Nasiruddin`s death to CID following a furore over the death.
A PIL was then filed by an advocate praying for a CBI investigation claiming that a fair and impartial investigation was not possible by any state agency as the allegation was against the state police.
It was also alleged that the investigation was being done in a shoddy manner.
The bench, upon hearing the submissions of the petitioner and the state, had criticised the pace and manner of investigation on Friday during the last hearing of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation