CPI demands arrest of Mukul Roy`s son
Kolkata: The CPI on Friday demanded immediate
arrest of Trinamool Congress candidate for Bijpur assembly
constituency Subhrangshu Roy, who allegedly attacked an
Election Comission official.
"He must be arrested immediately," CPI general
secretary AB Bardhan said at a Meet-the-Press programme here.
Bardhan said two days back a CPI delegation went to the
Election Commission and wanted to know why Subhrangshu, son of
Union Minister of State for Shipping Mukul Roy, was still at
large after beating up an EC official.
"They told us that he was arrested, but managed to
sneak out while an FIR was being written," he said.
Expressing happiness at the Supreme Court`s granting of
bail to human rights activist Binayak Sen, he said, "It is a
good decision of the Supreme Court."
In reply to a question, he said, "CPI was not against
setting up of a steel plant by POSCO, but had objected to its
demand for a captive port, captive mines and use of water from
the Mahanadi river."
"We are only opposing the location of the plant on
land which traditionally belong to the tribals. We are not
opposed to the plant," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter