CPI hopeful of LF win in WB polls
Chandigarh: CPI on Saturday said it is hopeful
that the Left Front will win the Assembly polls in West Bengal
as the coalition has "turned around a lot" to face the
CPI General Secretary A B Bardhan said those who
projected that the Left would loose elections in West Bengal
will be proved wrong as the situation today is not the same as
it was a few months back.
"The Left Front has turned around to face the
challenge in West Bengal elections," he told reporters here.
"A year back or six months back, you could have said
she (Mamata Banerjee) has a big edge. But Left Front has
turned around a lot. It is possible, after seven victories in
WB, we may be win," he said.
Bardhan said the Congress-led United Democratic Front
in Kerala is in trouble and Left front is "more united than
He described as a good gesture Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh extending an invitation to the President and Prime
Minister of Pakistan to join him in watching the India-
Pakistan World Cup semi-final match in Mohali on March 30.
Bardhan hinted at supporting the former finance
minister Manpreet Badal, who is to announce his new political
outfit tomorrow, in the Punjab elections to be held early next
"We will consider all those possibilities...it
(supporting him) will depend on what he says tomorrow in his
policy like economic or social packages when he announces his
party and what is his stand on corruption and price rise," he
However, he termed the breaking out of Manpreet Badal
from SAD as a positive development for Punjab politics. "We
think it (separation of Manpreet from SAD) is a good beginning
and his party will be an alternative to the Congress and SAD
which have been trying to polarise the politics of Punjab," he
Manpreet Badal was expelled from SAD party on debt
waiver issue and he today also announced to resign as an MLA
from Gidderbaha constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday