CPI-M arrogance caused Left defeat: Forward Bloc
New Delhi: The Forward Bloc Wednesday blamed the "arrogance and bureaucratic attitude" of the leaders of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) for the worst performance of the Left Front coalition in the West Bengal civic polls.
Forward Bloc general secretary Debabrata Biswas also urged the CPI-M`s middle level leaders in the state to shed their arrogance.
"In (municipal areas), the bureaucratic approach and arrogant attitude of the leaders cost the Left dearly. The people hate such attitude. That is the main cause of the Left`s dismal show," Biswas said.
The Sunday battle was considered a semi-final ahead of next year`s make-or-break assembly elections at a time when the Left Front, which has ruled West Bengal since 1977, is facing its most serious challenge to power.
Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress has won the prestigious Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) with a huge margin and is leading in most municipalities. Elections were held in 81 corporations, including KMC.
Asked whether all the Left leaders are arrogant and bureaucratic, Biswas blamed the CPI-M. "They (CPI-M) are the leaders in these areas. They should shed this culture, which is anti-Left."
He admitted "there is no change in the electorate`s mood" in West Bengal even after the CPI-M-led government took several pro-people steps after it suffered a huge setback in the Lok Sabha election last year.
Biswas also said it was up to the ruling Left Front to decide whether early assembly elections to be conducted.
"They (Trinamool Congress) have every right to claim early assembly polls in the state. They are victorious. But it is up to the leaders of the Left Front to decide when the polls should be held," he said.
Biswas, however, said the results reflected "the verdict of only 16 percent electorate in West Bengal".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it