CPI-M calls for shutdown in WB, demanding release of their leaders
Siliguri: Communist party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) called for a total shutdown on Thursday in Siliguri as they pressed their demand for the release of their leaders arrested during the clash between their party leaders and supporters of state ruling Trinamool Congress party (TMC).
A leader of CPI-M, Joy Chakraborty said that the people of the district along with the party members condemned the incident.
"We have called for a shutdown in the entire Darjeeling district against the arrest of our leaders by the police. The common man is also extending support towards this shutdown. All the shops are closed and the public transport is not plying on the roads. Through this shutdown it has been proved that all the people of our district are against the incident," he said.
Earlier, police baton charged the protesters after TMC members entered into a scuffle with the supporters of the CPI-M on Wednesday. Reportedly, around 25 CPI-M supporters, including senior leaders Ashok Bhattacharya and Jibesh Sarkar were detained from the party office.
According to media reports, protesters of TMC and CPI-M got into a spat that further lead to stone pelting from both sides following which the police turned violent to restore peace. Silguri wore a deserted look, as shops remained closed while public transport remained off the roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!