CPI-M calls for shutdown in WB, demanding release of their leaders
Siliguri: Communist party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) called for a total shutdown on Thursday in Siliguri as they pressed their demand for the release of their leaders arrested during the clash between their party leaders and supporters of state ruling Trinamool Congress party (TMC).
A leader of CPI-M, Joy Chakraborty said that the people of the district along with the party members condemned the incident.
"We have called for a shutdown in the entire Darjeeling district against the arrest of our leaders by the police. The common man is also extending support towards this shutdown. All the shops are closed and the public transport is not plying on the roads. Through this shutdown it has been proved that all the people of our district are against the incident," he said.
Earlier, police baton charged the protesters after TMC members entered into a scuffle with the supporters of the CPI-M on Wednesday. Reportedly, around 25 CPI-M supporters, including senior leaders Ashok Bhattacharya and Jibesh Sarkar were detained from the party office.
According to media reports, protesters of TMC and CPI-M got into a spat that further lead to stone pelting from both sides following which the police turned violent to restore peace. Silguri wore a deserted look, as shops remained closed while public transport remained off the roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP