CPI (M) defies ban on law violation in Kolkata
Kolkata: CPI(M) Friday defied a ban on law violation programmes in the metropolis and staged a protest demanding return of money to those defrauded by the Saradha chitfund scam among others.
"The government is breaking the law every day and asking us not to hold law violations. The government is taking away democratic and political rights of opposition parties," Leader of the Opposition and CPI(M) leader Surjya Kanta Mishra told the rally before the law violation programme.
CPI(M) state secretary and Left Front chairman Biman Bose said there would have been no need for law violation if Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had agreed to the demands for a judicial probe into SFI leader Sudipto Gupta`s custodial death and a CBI inquiry into the Saradha chit fund scam.
"There has been never an instance where law violation programme has been denied by the police and administration in the country," he said.
"The state government is saying it does not have money, but is spending crores of rupees on festivals," Bose said.
Earlier, Mishra alleged the state government was trying to save Saradha Group chairman Sudipta Sen since many ministers and leaders of the ruling Trinamool Congress were involved in the scam.
CPI(M) partymen who courted arrest were immediately released.
The partymen also decided to stage a sit-in on Rani Rashmoni Road at Esplanade to protest the ban on law violation programmes.
Kolkata Police has banned law violation programmes and holding of political meetings at Metro Channel at Esplanade in the heart of the metropolis on May 25 to prevent disruption to public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters