CPI-M denied permission to hold rally in Kolkata
Kolkata: The CPI(M) has been denied permission again from holding a public rally here this Saturday at Hazra, which is near West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s residence, but the party said it would hold it nevertheless.
"We were denied permission by the Kolkata police to hold a rally by former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee at Hazra on May 25. But we have decided to hold it there," CPI(M) state committee leader Manab Mukherjee told a news agency on Tuesday.
Accusing the police of being partisan, Mukherjee cited instances where other political parties were allowed to hold rallies at the busy spot in south Kolkata.
The police said that permission was denied keeping in mind the traffic dislocation that would take place.
A senior police official said on the condition of anonymity, "Yes it is true that we have allowed other political parties.
"But they (CPI-M) are saying that it will be a gathering of over 30,000 people. If there is such a huge rally on a Saturday then the entire area will become congested. That is why we have denied permission."
He said that the allegation of partisanship was baseless as earlier small rallies by the CPI(M) were allowed at the spot.
Earlier this month, the party was not permitted to hold a public meeting at the Shyambazar five-point crossing in north Kolkata.
Ultimately the rally was held at a different spot in the same area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH