CPI-M denied permission to organise rally
Kolkata: CPI-M leadership on Sunday alleged that they have been denied a permission to hold rally in Shyambazar area of Kolkata on May 7.
"Earlier when we had applied for permission we were told that we would be allowed. But today we received a communication from the police stating that we can`t be allowed to hold a rally on May 7 as there is an awareness programme of KMC during that period," CPI-M leader and former state minister Manab Mukherjee told PTI.
"I called up police commissioner Surojit Kar Purakayastha to allow the meeting to be held for just three hours but the request was turned down," he said.
According to CPI(M) sources, the rally at Shyambazar five-point crossing on May 7, was political strategy to the party`s strength by arranging a rally at the same venue, where West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had organised a rally a few days back.
When Purakayastha was contacted, he said to get in touch with Joint Commissioner (Headquarters) Javed Shamim.
Shamim remained unavailable for the comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!