CPI-M flays govt move to float fund for duped investors
Kolkata: CPI(M) on Thursday sharply criticised the Trinamool Congress government`s move to set up a relief fund to compensate investors hit by the collapse of Saradha Group which was engaged in a ponzi scheme.
Party leader and finance minister during the Left Front regime, Asim Dasgupta said it was surprising to hear that instead of paying off the investors by auctioning the confiscated assets of the chitfund group, the state government has sought to create a fund by imposing taxes on the public.
SEBI in its letter dated April 23, 2010, had asked a group firm Saradha Realty to stop collecting money from the public and repay the depositors within three months, he told newsmen here.
Lambasting the government, Dasgupta said it chose a `convoluted method` to compensate the investors by taxing the public and demanded that the probe into the scam be jointly carried out by SEBI, RBI and SFIO.
Since people of more than one state were duped by the Saradha group`s ponzi scheme, CBI should also be roped in the probe, Dasgupta said and sought the arrest of political leaders irrespective of parties involved the scam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents