CPI-M leader apologises in Assembly for remarks on
Kolkata: Senior CPIM leader Anisur Rahman today apologised unconditionally in the West Bengal Assembly for his obscene comments against West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at Itahar in Uttar Dinajpur in December last year, after a Privilege Motion was moved against him.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee moved the Privilege Motion against Rahman for his comments at a Krishak Sabha programme in his constituency at Itahar on December 26 in connection with the chief minister`s announcement of compensation for rape victims.
"He had made such derogatory remarks against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee that the words cannot be uttered," Chatterjee said.
Trinamool Congress had submitted a notice on breach of privilege against Rahman on December 28 for his comments, which had sparked outrage in political circles.
Asked to reply by Speaker Biman Bandopadhyay, Rahman said that his mode of delivery might have been wrong and he had already apologised for his remarks, amidst jeers from the Treasury bench.
Rahman said that his remarks were reported in part and that he was speaking in connection with the Delhi gang-rape case.
He said that he had already apologised for his comments before the press.
At this, Panchayat minister Subrata Mukherjee asked "If he gives an apology in a challenging mood instead of an unconditional apology, should the House accept it?"
When Rahman told the Speaker that he was ready to go to his chamber and apologise, the Speaker said "Why should you do it in my Chamber? If you want to apologise, do it before the House."
Following this, Rahman said "I offer my unconditional apologies."
While accepting his apology, the Speaker asked Rahman to be careful and refrain from making such comments in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog