CPI-M rebel leader manhandled
Kolkata: Rebel CPI-M leader Rezzak Mollah was on Tuesday manhandled by an agitated crowd at a market in Bhangar in South 24-Parganas district when he was speaking at a meeting against price rise, police said.
They said that Mollah, a former minister in the Left Front government, was pushed and shoved by the crowd, claimed by the CPI-M to be Trinamool Congress supporters, for criticising TMC chief Mamata Banerjee for not asking the UPA coalition to control inflation.
Some local-level leaders of the CPI-M were also pushed by the angry crowd, party sources claimed.
A police team from the Bhangar police station arrived at the venue of the meeting and brought the situation under control.
While CPI-M district secretary Sujan Chakraborty alleged that TMC supporters were involved in the incident, former Trinamool Congress MLA Arabul Islam claimed that his party had nothing to do with the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why
- Naming of new RBI chief shows Modi government regains composure after Rajan shock
- JNU PhD student drugged, raped by AISA activist in hostel room? Know details of complaint