CPI-M to contest by-polls in Kolkata: Biman Bose
Kolkata: CPI-M`s Mrinal Chakraborty and Faiz Ahmed Khan will contest the Sep 13 assembly by-election from Basirhat South and Chowringhee here respectively, the party said Thursday.
Left Front chairman Biman Bose made the announcement here.
The ruling Trinamool Congress has fielded former Indian soccer captain Dipendu Biswas from Basirhat South and actress Nayana Bandopadhyay from Chowringhee.
The Basirhat seat fell vacant after the death of CPI-M legislator Narayan Mukhopadhyay.
The resignation of Trinamool legislator Sikha Mitra rendered the Chowringhee seat vacant. Sikha, wife of Congress leader Somen Mitra, left the Trianmool this year after being a party dissident for long.
The elections will be held Sep 13 and the votes will be counted Sep 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'