CPI-M to contest by-polls in Kolkata: Biman Bose
Kolkata: CPI-M`s Mrinal Chakraborty and Faiz Ahmed Khan will contest the Sep 13 assembly by-election from Basirhat South and Chowringhee here respectively, the party said Thursday.
Left Front chairman Biman Bose made the announcement here.
The ruling Trinamool Congress has fielded former Indian soccer captain Dipendu Biswas from Basirhat South and actress Nayana Bandopadhyay from Chowringhee.
The Basirhat seat fell vacant after the death of CPI-M legislator Narayan Mukhopadhyay.
The resignation of Trinamool legislator Sikha Mitra rendered the Chowringhee seat vacant. Sikha, wife of Congress leader Somen Mitra, left the Trianmool this year after being a party dissident for long.
The elections will be held Sep 13 and the votes will be counted Sep 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!