CPI-M`s appeal to all, including Somnath, to campaign for it
Kolkata: The CPI-M on Friday said it had appealed
to all, including expelled leader Somnath Chatterjee, to
campaign for the party in the coming West Bengal Assembly
elections, but was evasive on the question of taking him back
to the party fold.
"We are appealing to everybody to campaign for us and
Somnath Chatterjee is one of them. Now it is up to him
(Chatterjee) to respond," CPI-M politburo member Sitaram
Yechury told a press conference at the party office here.
He was commenting on the party`s central committee member
Gautam Deb`s request to Chatterjee to attend and address an
election meeting in his assembly constituency at Dum Dum on
Asked if appeal to Chatterjee to campaign for the party
was any indication that he would be taken back to CPI-M and if
the party will revoke his expulsion for anti-party activity,
he said, "This is not an issue which can be discussed here...
This is election time."
Gautam Deb on Thursday questioned the party`s decision to
expel the Marxist veteran and said there was no provision in
the CPI-M constitution that an expelled leader could not not
be taken back to the party fold.
Chatterjee, when contacted at his Santiniketan residence,
said yesterday that Deb had made a personal request to him to
adddress his poll meeting in Dum Dum constituency on April 24.
"I am not keeping well. If the doctor allows me, I shall
try to keep his (Deb`s) request," Chatterjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’