CPI(M) asks Trinamool to stop violence in Bengal
New Delhi: A day after the heckling of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee by Left protestors, CPI(M) on Wednesday asked Trinamool Congress to immediately stop the "widespread violence" against it across West Bengal while condemning the incident.
"The CPI(M) has disapproved and condemned this incident. The Party will look into how this has happened," the party Politburo said in a statement after it held a meeting to review the situation arising out of yesterday`s protest at the Planning Commission building here during which state Finance Minister Amit Mitra was manhandled.
"However, on the pretext of this incident, widespread violence has been unleashed against the CPI(M) and the Left in West Bengal," the statement said.
The meeting was attended by Politburo members present in the capital, including General Secretary Prakash Karat, Brinda Karat, S R Pillai and Sitaram Yechury.
CPI(M) also condemned the attacks on CPI(M) and Left parties offices all across West Bengal. "Many party offices have been destroyed and scores of party cadres and leaders have been injured in these attacks by TMC men," it said.
"The CPI(M) demands that the TMC leadership immediately put a stop to these attacks. The state government should take immediate steps to ensure that peace is maintained," the statement said.
It demanded a judicial probe into the death of Sudipto Gupta, a leader of SFI, the student wing of CPI (M), in Kolkata on April two be ordered without delay. SFI has alleged that 22-year-old Gupta died after he was beaten up by the police which has maintained that he was killed in an accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore