CPI(M) asks Trinamool to stop violence in Bengal
New Delhi: A day after the heckling of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee by Left protestors, CPI(M) on Wednesday asked Trinamool Congress to immediately stop the "widespread violence" against it across West Bengal while condemning the incident.
"The CPI(M) has disapproved and condemned this incident. The Party will look into how this has happened," the party Politburo said in a statement after it held a meeting to review the situation arising out of yesterday`s protest at the Planning Commission building here during which state Finance Minister Amit Mitra was manhandled.
"However, on the pretext of this incident, widespread violence has been unleashed against the CPI(M) and the Left in West Bengal," the statement said.
The meeting was attended by Politburo members present in the capital, including General Secretary Prakash Karat, Brinda Karat, S R Pillai and Sitaram Yechury.
CPI(M) also condemned the attacks on CPI(M) and Left parties offices all across West Bengal. "Many party offices have been destroyed and scores of party cadres and leaders have been injured in these attacks by TMC men," it said.
"The CPI(M) demands that the TMC leadership immediately put a stop to these attacks. The state government should take immediate steps to ensure that peace is maintained," the statement said.
It demanded a judicial probe into the death of Sudipto Gupta, a leader of SFI, the student wing of CPI (M), in Kolkata on April two be ordered without delay. SFI has alleged that 22-year-old Gupta died after he was beaten up by the police which has maintained that he was killed in an accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena