CPI(M) condemns killing of Dilip Sarkar
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Monday condemned the daylight shooting of one of its prominent leaders in West Bengal, Dilip Sarkar, saying it was part of "systematic efforts" to annihilate party and trade union leaders by the ruling Trinamool Congress.
Demanding an investigation and arrest of those guilty of this crime, the CPI(M) Politburo said this was the third incident in Bardhaman district "since the Trinamool Congress came into office, of CPI(M) and trade union leaders being targeted for attack."
"This heinous killing is part of the systematic efforts to physically eliminate the leaders of the CPI(M) and the trade union movement," it said while conveying heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family.
A former state legislator, Sarkar was shot dead while on a morning walk in the Asansol-Raniganj industrial belt yesterday. He was a secretariat member of CPI(M)`s Bardhaman District Committee.
Sarkar was also the District Secretary of the CITU and a leader of the Steel Workers` Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends