CPI(M), Congress ask Mamata to resign
Kolkata: Opposition parties CPI(M) and Congress on Wednesday joined hands to demand resignation of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for `attack` on opposition rights and deteriorating law and order in the state.
Protesting against the suspension of three CPI(M) members, the Left Front membership today observed a protest-demonstration in front of the House with placards and festoons.
They also conducted a mock parliament to show how the Assembly was being run with no rights granted to opposition members.
Senior CPI(M) member Abdur Rezzak Mollah said that the Mamata Banerjee government had lost all its credibility within 18 months of coming to power.
"It is to be seen now if it survives another six months," he quipped.
A Youth Congress team, led by former ministers Manoj Chakraborty and Sabina Yasmin, held a demonstration before the south gate of the Assembly house demanding immediate resignation of the chief minister for the deteriorating law and order situation.
The team demanded a CBI inquiry to probe the firing on villagers at Loba in Birbhum district where one person was killed and several others were injured.
They blocked the main gate of the House, while shouting slogans alleging the growing attacks on women and disrupted law and order in the state.
Later the police removed the agitators to make passage for members and ministers to exit.
Sixteen youth congress demonstrators were arrested, the police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living