CPI(M) demands CBI probe into Saradha scam
New Delhi: CPI(M) Tuesday demanded a CBI inquiry into the Saradha scam in West Bengal, saying probe by state agencies would not be impartial as top Trinamool Congress leaders have been named in the ponzi scandal by their party MP Kunal Ghosh, currently under arrest.
"Since top Trinamool Congress leaders, including the chief minister, have been named by Ghosh, it would not be proper if the inquiry is done by state government agencies. The probe will not be impartial. That is why we are demanding a CBI probe under Supreme Court`s supervision," senior CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharia told reporters here.
"It is quite surprising that when (Chief Minister) Mamata Banerjee was in opposition, she used to demand CBI probe on the drop of a hat, even on a small incident. Why is she so afraid of CBI probe now," he asked.
Acharia said the demand for such a probe was also justified as the scam had "extended to several other states including Assam, Odisha, Tripura and Bihar. Governments of Odisha and Tripura have already recommended CBI probe".
"No action has been taken by the state government in the past six months since the scam surfaced, nor have Saradha`s properties been confiscated," he said, adding that over 20 lakh small depositors have been hit hard.
"The money, hard-earned savings of the poor, has been looted by some political leaders. The state government should compensate these depositors by confiscating Saradha properties and auctioning them, but not through the public exchequer," he said, giving the example of a similar scam during the Left Front rule earlier when the state government had taken over the properties and auctioned them to pay off the victims.
Suspended Trinamool MP Ghosh, CEO of Saradha Group`s media arm, was arrested on November 23 in Kolkata in connection with the scam and charged with cheating and conspiracy.
Earlier, CPI(M) leaders had said that more time was being given to the Saradha chitfund company by the state government "to siphon off its assets and relocate them".
They had also said the CBI could be asked by the courts to take up the issue for investigation or it could take up the matter on its own also.
The CPI(M) leaders have earlier met the President, the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister and submitted detailed memoranda on the issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India