CPI(M) demands judicial probe into SFI leader`s death
Kolkata: CPI(M) on Tuesday demanded a judicial inquiry into the death of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta alleging he was beaten to death by the police.
"We have demanded a judicial probe into the killing of Gupta," who was brutally beaten by the police, state CPI(M) leader Rabin Deb told PTI.
The 22-year-old was injured in a lathicharge by the police and died due to the injuries suffered by him, the party alleged.
CPI-M senior leader Mohammed Salim told PTI that as Gupta died in police custody, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who is also the home minister of the state, owed an answer why the youth was killed.
Joint Commissioner of Police (headquaters) Javed Shamim earlier told PTI the youth died in a city hospital.
"He received an injury in an accident when he, along with 30 others, was being taken in a bus after being arrested. There was not even lathi charge by the police," Shamim said.
The incident happened when SFI supporters gathered in Rani Rasmoni Road area of the city in connection with a protest rally to demand holding of college union elections in the state.
Police said SFI supporters turned violent and threw rotten tomatoes and eggs at the police personnel deployed in the area.
Police then arrested 331 SFI supporters and Gupta along with 30 other supporters were put into the bus from which he accidently fell and was injured.
The hospital authorities said Gupta was admitted with head injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened