CPI(M) hits back at Chidambaram for remark on West Bengal
New Delhi: Terming as "absurd" Home
Minister P Chidambaram`s remarks that West Bengal was among
the worst governed states in the country, the CPI(M) on Tuesday hit back at him saying he was part of a government presiding
over the "most corrupt regime" in independent India.
In a statement, the party Polit Bureau said it was a
"ludicrous statement" coming from a person "who belongs to a
government which is presiding over the most corrupt regime in
"Mercifully, West Bengal has been saved from the style
of governance that Chidambaram`s party has been practising at
the Centre," it said.
The "absurdity" of the statement can be gauged from
the fact that on the very day when Chidambaram made the
statement, West Bengal was given an award for Panchayati Raj
programme rural development by the Centre, it said.
"It is shocking that the Home Minister goes to West
Bengal and does not speak a word of condemnation on the Maoist
violence which has led to the death of 265 cadres and
supporters of the CPI(M) and the Left Front since the last Lok
Sabha elections," the party said.
Instead, he has levelled the "patently false" charge
that it is the CPI(M) which is responsible for the killings by
presenting wrong figures, the party said.
"By covering up the Maoist violence and the Maoist-TMC
collaboration, Chidambaram has betrayed the elementary duty
entrusted to him as the Home Minister of the country.
"The egregious and partisan manner in which
Chidambaram is behaving will only call into question the way
he is handling the key office of Home Minister in the
government." the statement said.
Reacting to Chidambaram`s remarks, West Bengal Chief
Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had yesterday held him `fully
responsible` for unrest in Kashmir and Andhra Pradesh and
asked him `to take care of his own business`.
"I advise that the doctor should treat himself first
and not try to teach us as we are confident of taking care of
ourselves," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report