CPI(M) leaders criticize Mamata on rape incident
Kolkata: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
on Sunday came under criticism from her predecessor Buddhadeb
Bhattacharjee, who accused her of not giving importance to the
alleged rape incident of an Anglo-Indian woman.
"The government without finding out what happened,
pooh-poohed the allegation, how could she?" Bhattacharjee
asked at a CPI(M) rally at Brigade Parade Ground here, without
CPI(M) state secretary Biman Bose was also critical of
the chief minister, saying "instead of investigating, the
government said it was a conspiracy to malign the government.
"Now the police has confirmed that there was indeed an
incident," he said.
"Despite being a woman herself, the chief minister is not
upholding the interest and dignity of women," Bose alleged.
Banerjee had claimed that the incident was a "fabricated
story" intended to malign her government and blamed some TV
channels for projecting it.
The woman was allegedly raped at gunpoint after being
picked up in a car from outside a night club at Park Street on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH