CPI(M) seeks CBI probe into Saradha issue
New Delhi: Claiming that names of top political persons are surfacing in the chit fund scam in West Bengal, a CPI(M) member on Wednesday sought a CBI enquiry into unregulated money raising activities in the wake of Saradha Group allegedly defrauding investors of their money.
Prasanta Chatterjee, a CPI(M) MP, demanded a CBI probe into the issue through a Special Mention in the Rajya Sabha. "... Since many poor persons have lost all their small deposits, I demand a court monitored CBI enquiry into the whole affair as already agreed by Assam and Tripura," he said.
Noting that the country is agitated over ponzi schemes, as found in the Saradha Group`s activities, Chatterjee said that "unfortunately, names of some political stalwarts and influential people are coming to the surface".
Sebi and RBI have already made some preliminary enquiry on this issue and submitted a report to the government, he noted.
In April, the government had said that entities suspected to be engaged in running ponzi schemes are being probed by Sebi, RBI and the Corporate Affairs Ministry, among others.
The Income Tax Department has also initiated a probe into activities of Saradha Group. The Enforcement Directorate has also registered a case of suspected money laundering activities against this Kolkata-based group and others, including its chief Sudipta Sen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical