CPI(M) state leadership authoritarian: Lakshman Seth
Kolkata: A former CPI-M strongman Lakshman Seth, who was dumped by the party for alleged dissident activity, on Sunday dubbed its leadership in Bengal as "authoritarian" and called for reforms.
"The present (state) CPI(M) leadership is authoritarian and is centred around an individual," Seth, a former CPI-M MP from Tamluk in East Midnapore district, said on the sidelines of a programme here.
"I was chucked out of the state committee at the last party conference going against the rules framed by the central committee," said Seth, who had fallen foul of the leadership for his alleged role in the forcible land acquisition at Nandigram in 2007, which paved the way for Trinamool Congress to come to power.
The state control commission of CPI(M) has initiated an investigation into allegations of corruption and anti-party activity of Seth. Following which he sent a letter to the leadership expressing a desire to quit from all posts and the party itself.
"What would you call the injustice meted out to me? This is much worse than a bourgeois system," Seth said.
He compared former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, without taking his name, to King Lear and observed that the party too would face its Waterloo like the communist rule in Russia did in 1991.
"When there is lack of democracy, authoritarianism takes over. But this system within the party can`t go on for an indefinite period. The fall is imminent just like what happened in the former USSR," Seth said.
Informed sources said that the once-formidable leader was miffed at the party for not standing by him in his darkest hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced