CPI(M) would not have existed if TMC had not given call for change
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Wednesday blamed the CPI(M) for the violence at Bamunghata in South 24 Parganas district, with a party minister saying that the Marxist party would not have existed had not the TMC given a call for change.
"Had our leader Mamata Banerjee not given a call before the Assembly election in 2011 for change and not revenge, the CPI(M) would not have existed in West Bengal," senior TMC leader and Transport minister Madan Mitra told a rally at the scene of yesterday`s violence.
"Trinamool Congress is against using bombs and guns. If you ask why we do not want it, I will say it is because had we wanted it, the CPI(M) would not existed after five minutes," Mitra said.
"TMC wants peace. This is our last meeting here. If the CPI(M) resorts to violence again, it will have to take the responsibility to maintain peace," he said.
"If the CPI(M) tries to incite riots and people get enraged and come out of their homes with big lathis then what will we do?" he asked.
"Arabul is a vibrant young man. If he gets beaten up by the CPI(M), will the people sit at home and eat rasgollas? We are behind Arabul. If necessary the entire party leadership will be here to stand beside him," he said.
Mitra also criticised a section of the media.
The rally was attended by the TMC top brass, Industry minister Partha Chatterjee, Urban Development minister Firhad Hakim and all India General Secretary Mukul Roy who later went in a procession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam