CPM accuses Mamata of dividing people of Bengal
Chinsurah: Leader of the Opposition and CPI(M) Politburo member Surya Kanta Mishra on Sunday said West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s "tendency to align herself with minorities and religious communities" would lead to a division among people.
"The Chief Minister`s tendency to align herself with minorities and religious communities will certainly lead to division among the people," Mishra said at a rally here.
He said that the Chief Minister`s "certain acts" would not augur well for the future of West Bengal, wondering where the state was headed to.
Pointing to the killing of a police officer in Garden Reach recently, he said "Nobody is safe in the state and those who are entrusted with responsibilities are now giving shelter to criminals."
"The Chief Minister is busy organising festivals and spending crores. Whose money is she spending?" Mishra questioned.
He also alleged that an atmosphere of fear was being created with the panchayat polls drawing close and referred to the resumption of unrest in the Darjeeling Hills.
Mishra alleged that Left Front workers were continuously attacked by Trinamool workers and false cases were being filed against them.
"Not only our party workers, the media and the judiciary are also under attack," he said.
Mishra addressed the rally from the deck of a matador van parked beside the main podium after a notice was served to the CPI-M by the district sub-divisional officer this morning that the meeting cannot be held on account of the madrassa exam due today.
CPI-M Hooghly district secretary Sudarshan Roychowdhury alleged that when permission was sought for the rally on February 4, the party was not informed about the madrassa examination.
Former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, who was supposed to attend the rally, did not turn up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared