CPM accuses Mamata of dividing people of Bengal
Chinsurah: Leader of the Opposition and CPI(M) Politburo member Surya Kanta Mishra on Sunday said West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s "tendency to align herself with minorities and religious communities" would lead to a division among people.
"The Chief Minister`s tendency to align herself with minorities and religious communities will certainly lead to division among the people," Mishra said at a rally here.
He said that the Chief Minister`s "certain acts" would not augur well for the future of West Bengal, wondering where the state was headed to.
Pointing to the killing of a police officer in Garden Reach recently, he said "Nobody is safe in the state and those who are entrusted with responsibilities are now giving shelter to criminals."
"The Chief Minister is busy organising festivals and spending crores. Whose money is she spending?" Mishra questioned.
He also alleged that an atmosphere of fear was being created with the panchayat polls drawing close and referred to the resumption of unrest in the Darjeeling Hills.
Mishra alleged that Left Front workers were continuously attacked by Trinamool workers and false cases were being filed against them.
"Not only our party workers, the media and the judiciary are also under attack," he said.
Mishra addressed the rally from the deck of a matador van parked beside the main podium after a notice was served to the CPI-M by the district sub-divisional officer this morning that the meeting cannot be held on account of the madrassa exam due today.
CPI-M Hooghly district secretary Sudarshan Roychowdhury alleged that when permission was sought for the rally on February 4, the party was not informed about the madrassa examination.
Former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, who was supposed to attend the rally, did not turn up.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview