CPM leader arrested, 6 bodies still missing
Nandigram: A local CPI(M) leader,
accused in the case of disappearance of six Trinamool
Congress-backed anti-land acquisition movement (BUPC)
activists following a firing incident at Nandigram in
November, 2007, was arrested from his residence in East
Midnapore district this evening.
A top police officer said Ajit Bar, the local left
leader, was arrested from his residence at adjoining Khejuri
no two block by a CID team.
Six BUPC (Bhumi Uchhed Pratirodh Committee) activists
were killed in firing and six others went missing during the
`recapture` of Nandigram on November 6, 2007 by the Marxists,
driven out of the area during the height of the land movement
earlier in that year.
Members of the missing families had since lodged FIRs
against Bar alleging he was a key person in the dumping of six
bodies after the firing from a procession, the official said.
A CID team came to the area four-five days back, quizzed
some boatmen in the area dotted by waterbodies and today
rounded up Bar.
He was later taken to Kolkata.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory