CPM plotting to poison drinking water: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has accused the Opposition Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPM) of hatching a conspiracy to mix poison in a water plant in South 24-Parganas district, provoking the Left to term the remarks "irresponsible" and "defamatory".
Speaking in the State Assembly on Thursday, Public Health Engineering Minister Subrata Mukherjee said a "rumour" was circulating at Nodakhali in South 24-Parganas that a water plant had been poisoned.
"I have been told that the CPM party is behind this rumour. I am suspicious that they have such a plan. It`s a deep conspiracy," he said. Endorsing her minister`s statement, Mamata told the house that the matter will be probed.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee also alleged that the CPM was also trying to orchestrate riots in the state.
"Ja rate ta kichu bate (There cannot be smoke without fire)," she added.
Then turning to the opposition benches, Mamata said they had spread the rumours. The CPM led Left Front members were on their feet, demanding the speaker expunge the remarks.
But when the speaker did not agree, they staged a walk-out. Speaking to reporters outside the house, Mamata said, "I have endorsed whatever my minister said. This is a dangerous game. A political party is hatching such conspiracies because it is out of power. They want to murder people to discredit this government. They are spreading rumours."
Continuing her vitriolic attack, Mamata alleged that the CPM was also trying to orchestrate riots.
"But we have made their plans unsuccessful. Some people have also been arrested," she said.
"What sort of politics is this? Just because somebody is not in power, why should they add poison to water, mid-day meals or Intensive Child Development Scheme projects?" she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof